Registration Terms and Condition
By registering for the 2023 Joint International Symposium of the Environmental Biogeochemistry (ISEB) and Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM), delegates and their accompanying guests agree to the following:
This joint symposium is organized by the International Society for Environmental Biogeochemistry (ISEB) and the International Society for Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM), herein referred to as the "Joint Symposium." The ISEB is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, with society membership, registered in the State of Delaware, USA.
1. Individuals registering to participate in the Joint Symposium events are referred to as Delegates. Delegates participate at their own risk. The ISEB and ISSM are not responsible for damage or injury to persons or property during the Joint Symposium and associated activities. Participants indemnify ISEB and ISSM for any claims whatsoever for any damages incurred by the participants in relation to or arising from the Joint Symposium and associated events, except if this damage is caused by a willful act or gross negligence by ISEB and ISSM (according to Canadian and US laws). It is the responsibility of the Delegate to arrange appropriate health, travel, and personal accident insurance coverage in connection to their property and themselves for the whole period of the Joint Symposium. In case a Delegate sustains an injury or illness while participating in any role in the Joint Symposium, the Delegate hereby authorizes any medical or health personnel to perform and administer first aid medical treatment, as deemed necessary, and, if required, to seek more specialized medical attention at hospitals and health care institutions. Delegates hereby acknowledge and agree that they have opted to voluntarily enter this agreement and to assume all risks of loss, damage and injury, including death that may be sustained as a consequence of participation in the Joint Symposium and associated activities. Hereby, all of ISEB’s and ISSM's affiliated companies, sponsors, agents, officers, directors, advisors, volunteers, and employees are released from any claims, actions, suits or demands of whichever nature arising out of or related in any way to participation in the Joint Symposium and associated activities, including any loss, damage, injury or death sustained by any third party as a result, directly or indirectly, of the Delegate’s participation in the Joint Symposium and associated activities. Delegates indemnify the ISEB and ISSM and all of its affiliated companies, sponsors, servants, agents, officers, directors, advisors, volunteers, and employees against all expenses, losses, damages, and costs that Delegates may incur as a result of participation in the Joint Symposium and related activities. ISEB and ISSM claim no responsibility whatsoever concerning underage accompanying guests of Delegates to the Joint Symposium and associated activities.
2. The ISEB and ISSM are not liable if they fail to comply with the Delegate’s obligations and expectations in case of either natural disasters (i.e., force majeure), such as earthquakes, floods, fire, pandemics, etc. for which no one can be held responsible, acts of violence (wars, riots, terrorism), or performance failures of parties outside the control of ISEB and ISSM (such as, transportation problems, subcontractors, lodging problems, etc.). In the event of force majeure, ISEB-ISSM have the right to postpone or cancel the Joint Symposium and related activities. In this case, the organizers shall not be liable for any expenditure, damage, or loss incurred by a Delegate. If the Joint Symposium or associated activities can take place on another date, all made bookings between the Delegate and the organizers shall remain in force. If a Delegate decides to cancel their future participation because of the postponement, then the ISEB and ISSM will reimburse the registration fees according to the cancellation policy (see below). For all other costs incurred, the Registrant (i.e., Delegate) is to refer to their personal travel or organization's insurance policy. If ISEB and ISSM cannot come to an agreement with the venue or other third parties to postpone, ISEB and ISSM may decide to cancel the Joint Symposium and associated activities. In this case, refunds will not be issued and the Registrant (i.e., Delegate) is referred to their personal travel or organization's insurance policy.
3. All delegates agree to act according to our Code of Conduct.
4. Delegates are aware that all presentations, posters, and abstracts given and associated with the Joint Symposium represent the intellectual property of the authors, ISEB, and ISSM. Further use the information (e.g., publication, lecture, presentation, education, sales, distribution, etc.) without the consent of the author(s), ISEB, and ISSM is strictly prohibited.
5. Registration fees are quoted in United State Dollars. Please adhere to the instructions for payment of all fees involved. Major credit cards or bank transfers are accepted. You will receive a registration confirmation via e-mail after your registration is complete.
6. Cancellations must be notified in writing. Substitute delegates will be accepted without charge. Cancellations received before 1 August 2023 will receive a full refund, less $50 administration fee. Cancellations received from 1 August 2023 until 30 August 2023 (45 days from the symposium) will receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations received after 31 August 2023.
7. The ISEB and ISSM have the right to make changes to the conference program, venue, and timings of the Joint Symposium and associated activities at any time.
8. Please note that the Joint Symposium and associated activities will take place in Banff, Alberta, Canada, which uses Mountain Daylight Time.
9. Any dispute arising out of or in connection with the Joint Symposium during the time of the meeting, including any disputes regarding the existence, validity, or termination thereof, will be subject to Canadian law.